Thoughts on "The Third Policeman" and other books

Thoughts on The Third Policeman and other books

The Third Policeman

I am only partway through the book, so these thoughts will be updated as I progress through it. Some of what follows is theory, and some is what came to my mind as I read.
These are the parallels to Lost I've seen so far:

The relationship between John Divney and the narrator
My immediate thought when I read this part was of the relationship between Locke and Boone or Desmond and Kelvin. (at least my idea of it, until Desmond's backstory is shown and we find out more about him and Kelvin)crosses fingers that it will be shown sometime

The Black Box
It's possibly analogous to the black box on the plane, or the hatch. (even though that isn't black) I say this because Locke's quest to gain entry to the hatch is similar in many ways to the narrator's quest to get the black box with the money. I've also been thinking of the box in a more symbolic way. In the book I feel it symbolizes an ultimate goal to be reached and a solution to problems. This same symbolism can be applied to Lost and the hatch. Gaining entry to the hatch was Locke's ultimate goal and he believed it was his destiny and that it would be a solution to their problems. Also, both Locke and the narrator went about their quests with a similar zealousness.
I'm thinking the black boxes seen in various episodes are also meant to be symbolic. They could be interpreted as a physical representation of some secret or hidden desire or intention that their owner (Sun's father for example) has.

Other Thoughts
I saw parallels to Lost in the discussions of names, their meaning, and forgetting ones name in the book. I can't say much about this now since I'm still formulating my theory but I will say that I thought of Sawyer when I read this part.
I'll have a lot more to add about this book as I read more. (I'll post my thoughts here and on my website or blog)

I hope my thoughts made some sense...I'm just beginning my analysis so I'm still working things out as I write them.

Comments

Popular Posts